Escapee admits to robbery, escaping from lawful custody charges

first_imgThe 23-year old rape and robbery accused, Kishan Wilkinson, called “Kevin Wilkinson”, who had escaped the Cove and John Police Station, East Coast Demerara (ECD), lockups for a brief period on Thursday last, has been sentenced to two years in jail.Kevin WilkinsonWilkinson, who is a labourer and hails from Lot 271 Hope, East Enmore, ECD, was slapped with two counts of robbery under arms as well as one charge of escaping from lawful custody on Friday and appeared at the Vigilance Magistrate’s Court.Appearing before Magistrate Fabio Azore, Wilkinson admitted to the two robbery under arms offences, which stated that on February 20 he robbed Ramnarace Somar and on May 10, he robbed Kusilica Bhagwandin.He also pleaded guilty to escaping from lawful custody while at the Cove and John Police Station.Magistrate Azore sentenced Wilkinson to two years’ imprisonment for each of the three charges, however, the sentences will run concurrently.Wilkinson had been originally slated to appear in court on Thursday but the court clerk, it was reported, accidentally, sent his case file to another magisterial district, which delayed the hearing.However, as Wilkinson was being prepared for court, he escaped from custody at the Cove and John Police Station. The police then launched a manhunt for him and, after receiving intelligence, they went to his sister’s home where they were first met with some resistance, during which time Wilkinson tried to slip away through the alleyway but was nabbed.Two ranks who were reportedly in charge of guarding and monitoring Wilkinson before he made his escape from the police station were put under close arrest. The Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) of the Guyana Police Force had commenced investigations into the matter but it is still unclear as to whether those ranks deliberately aided in Wilkinson’s daring escape or if they will be sanctioned for that incident.last_img read more