Electric car gutted by flames after it set fire while charging

first_imgFirefighters tackle car blaze The fire service said the car was “100% alight”Credit: Stephen Huntley/HVC Pictures of the scene show the vehicle was reduced to a shell by the flames. Firefighters said the fire in Wickford, Essex, was caused by an electrical fault. Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze was accidental. The car had been left to charge outside an office building. In the early hours of Sunday morning the fire service received reports that it was on fire.The fire was put out by 6.25am. A building was also damaged by smokeCredit: Stephen Huntley/HVC In a statement the fire service said: “An electric car which was left on charge outside an office building has been 100% destroyed and caused smoke damage to a building after catching alight.”Crews were called to reports of a car fire this morning (Sunday 9 July) outside an office building.”On arrival firefighters reported that the car was 100% alight and that the building it was parked outside was becoming smoke logged as a result. “By 6.25am firefighters had extinguish the fire, ventilated the building and ensured that the scene was safe.”The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental, and was due to an electrical fault.” A firefighter surveys the damagecenter_img Electric car fire  An electric car was left completely burnt out after it set on fire while charging.The vehicle was destroyed and a nearby building was damaged by smoke in the incident. Firefighters survey damage of electric car The car had been charging when it went up in flamesCredit: Stephen Huntley/HVC A firefighter surveys the damageCredit: Stephen Huntley/HVC Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.last_img read more