Wake up New Zealand Cricket #MeToo banner seen during India vs New Zealand 2nd T20I

first_imgNew Zealand Cricket officials were once again left red-faced after another woman held up a banner protesting against Scott Kuggeleijn’s participation in the second T20 international between India and New Zealand on Friday.Scott Kuggeleijn, who was cleared of rape charges in 2017, bowled 3.5 overs in the match and also scored 2 runs as India beat New Zealand by 7 wickets to level the three-match series 1-1 in Auckland.But Kuggeleijn’s participation has led to protests, one of whom had held up a banner, which read “no means no”, in the first T20I in Wellington.Another woman was seen holding up a banner which read “Wake up, NZ Cricket, #MeToo”.New Zealand Cricket and Westpac Stadium had earlier apologised for removing a banner promoting sexual consent during the first match. The banner was confiscated and the woman was told she would get it back after the double-header.The message in the banner was directed at Scott Kuggeleijn, who was selected for the national side after a jury found him not guilty in a rape case two years ago.New Zealand cricket public relations officer, Richard Boock conceded the decision to remove the banner was an overreaction. However, he pointed out that the New Zealand Cricket and the Westpac Stadium officials had just followed the guidelines that prohibit targetting players with such banners.”We agree the course taken was an over-reaction and unnecessary, and the sign certainly wasn’t offensive,” Boock said, as quoted by the report.”The policy is a guideline only and is not written in stone. I think, on this occasion, we should have shown better judgment and exercised more discretion. We’ll be having a chat about it in our debrief with a view to making sure that doesn’t happen again, and we’re sorry.”advertisementKuggeleijn had faced trials in 2016 and 2017 after he was charged with rape in Hamilton in 2015. After a hung jury in the first trial, he was found not guilty of rape in the second despite the New Zealand cricketer conceding the woman in question had said no to sex.Also Read | We just waited for umpire’s decision: Khaleel Ahmed on Daryl Mitchell DRS controversyAlso Read | Did you miss Virat Kohli, reporter asks. Khaleel Ahmed bursts out laughingAlso Read | MS Dhoni’s helped Rishabh Pant bat well in Auckland: Harbhajan Singhlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *