Newspaper editor Dolgor Chuluunbaatar freed on bail

first_img July 28, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Newspaper editor Dolgor Chuluunbaatar freed on bail News Campaigns to go further RSF_en Mongolia : RSF urges presidential candidates to voice support for press freedom MongoliaAsia – Pacific News October 28, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts MongoliaAsia – Pacific June 7, 2021 Find out morecenter_img Help by sharing this information The worldwide press freedom organisation said it was “very worried” about the editor’s treatment in prison, since the case was of interest to the government. It said it was quite unlikely that the privatisation of the paper and a state printing works had been done entirely by one person. It urged the government to clarify the matter and allow civil society representatives to visit the prison to check on Chuluunbaatar’s health and whether he had been beaten. He was accused by the court on 7 April of violating in 2008 article 150.3 of the criminal law about private and government property and faces a 15-year prison sentence if convicted. The paper’s offices are in a former printing works that belonged to the Ulaabataar city government. He denies the charges. His lawyers have applied nine times to various legal authorities for his release on bail but none have replied. Chuluunbaatar, a respected TV journalist and former editor of Mongoliin Medee (Mongolian News) and the Daily Independent, is currently vice-president of the Asia Journalist Association and secretary-general of the Confederation of Mongolian Journalists. Reporters Without Borders is also concerned about the arrest on 27 April of two journalists, Gantumut Uyanga and her husband Baviya Baatarkhuyag, after they criticised nature, environment and tourism minister Luimed Gansukh in the daily Udriin Sonin for moving with his family into a million-dollar house soon after the government signed an agreement with a Canadian firm, Ivanohe Mines, to mine copper and gold at Oyu Tolgoi.Uyanga told the news website that she and her husband were seized by four police and shoved into a van as they were leaving their house with a friend. “I was forced to kneel down and they smashed my mobile phone,” she said.Both journalists were freed a few hours later. The Ulaanbaatar court upheld on 5 May the dismissal by the Sukhbaatar court on 24 March of a libel suit brought by the minister against Uyanga, who also heads a civil society organisation. She said she would sue police for illegally arresting her.Reporters Without Borders calls on the government to “immediately decriminalise defamation” and said prosecution of journalists for what they wrote violated freedom of expression and the media, which were guaranteed by article 16 of the national constitution, article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and by the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, all of which Mongolia had signed.Mongolia ranks 76th out of 178 countries in the current (2010) Reporters Without Borders world press freedom index. Reporters Without Borders is relieved to learn that Dolgor Chuluunbaatar, the editor of the daily Ulaanbaatar Times, was released conditionally on health grounds on 22 July. He is now in hospital receiving treatment for a serious eye infection.He had been held since 24 March on a charge of illegally privatizing the newspaper. No date has so far been set for the trial, at which he will face the possibility of a 15-year jail sentence. June 2, 2020 Find out more News Mongolia: RSF calls for media reform to tackle corruption ———————–26.05.2011 – Editor of daily paper held for two monthsReporters Without Borders today voiced “great concern” about the imprisonment for the past two months of Dolgor Chuluunbaatar, editor of the daily Ulaanbaatar Times, and said it feared he had been “tortured and forced to sign confessions.” It called on the government to prove otherwise.He was arrested in the capital, Ulaanbataar, on 24 March and accused by the Sukhbaatar district court of illegally privatising the paper. Reporters Without Borders is also concerned about the arrest on 27 April of another journalist, who was accused of libelling a minister. Organisation Follow the news on Mongolia UN human rights review on Mongolia: RSF urges members to join its call for press freedom reformslast_img read more

Gang loses leaders to lock up

first_imgFacebook WhatsApp Limerick District CourtLimerick Circuit CourtTHE intimidation of State witnesses strikes at the very core of our judicial system, a judge said, as convicted criminal Vincent Collopy joins two of his brothers in jail over threats made to a former associate.He fled to Bulgaria more than two years ago and was extradited and brought back to be charged with intimidating and threatening to kill Willie Moran over money owed from the sale of a horse.Last month, Kieran and Brian Collopy were jailed for eight years each after they were caught preparing bags of heroin at a kitchen table in a house in St Mary’s Park.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The jailing of Vincent this week has stripped the Collopy gang of its powerful figureheads as gardai in the Limerick Division turn the heat up on drug dealing and criminal activity.Earlier this year, Vincent Collopy pleaded guilty to the intimidation charge before the court and the State dropped the threat to kill accusation.On June 9, 2010, Willie Moran and his then girlfriend, Margaret were with their two children at her mother’s home in St Mary’s Park.The family got in to their car and as they were about to leave, Vincent Collopy and his brother Brian pulled up in a van shouting at the Moran’s.Vincent Collopy made gun like gestures to Willie and shouted threats like “bang bang Willie, Willie bangs all day”, while still making gun like signals. At the time, Willie Moran, with more than 30 previous convictions, was a potential State witness in the trail of two other Collopy brothers who he accused of threatening to kill him.Damien and Kieran had been just been sent for trial in custody that same day on the charges. They later pleaded guilty and were each jailed for five years.They alleged Mr Moran owed up to €5,000 for horses to their late brother Philip Collopy, who accidentally shot himself in the head in March 2009.“In fear” according to the evidence, Willie Moran made a complaint to the gardai. In a bizarre twist later that evening, Vincent and Brian went to Henry Street gardai and made a complaint that Willie Moran had threatened them .However, gardai had CCTV footage corroborating Willie’s version of events.Brian Collopy was arrested, charged, opted for a trial but was found guilty and was jailed for eight years reduced to six years on appeal.Vincent, although not charged, was still a subject of garda enquiries however he left and travelled to Manchester before settling in Bulgaria.He married and lived there running a small beach shop with his three children. Gardai however caught up with Vincent and brought him back on foot of a European Arrest Warrant. In his judgement at Limerick Circuit Court, Judge Tom O’Donnell said that Collopy’s actions were an “unambiguous attempt to intimidate not just Willie but the Moran family.”Subsequently, “they were placed in protective custody and had to deal with their lives and liberty being discommoded and all that comes with it. Their children became very frightened, not just from the car chase that day but from all the events.”During the sentence hearing earlier this year, a probation report was canvassed by Collopy’s legal team, but defence counsel Michael Bowman SC sought to exclude its contents, because aspects of it didn’t read well.Vincent Collopy, who turns 37 in September, has a number of previous convictions including two for threatening to kill and a conviction for drug dealing. The intimidation of Willie Moran was described as a “cold calculated and determined attempt to intimidate the Moran family”, Judge O’Donnell said The case had to be viewed in the most serious of light the Judge remarked adding that “this strike at the very core of our criminal justice system and it can not be tolerated. Vincent Collopy of St Ita’s Street and Sunny Beach, Bulgaria was jailed for five years but Judge O’Donnell suspended the final two years on the provision he stays away from the Moran family for the next seven years.  Email No vaccines in Limerick yet Rape Crisis welcomes publication of O’Malley report Advertisement Linkedin 27 month delay in justice at Limerick courts TAGScollopyCourtdrugsfeaturedgangslimerick center_img Print Previous articleElectric Picnic MindField welcomes Blindboy BoatclubNext articleNew political party will speak for voiceless animals Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. NewsGang loses leaders to lock upBy Bernie English – August 4, 2016 1565 Man charged with assault causing harm to shop worker after arrest on suspicion of coughing on victim Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Man arrested after suspected gun and ammunition found following pursuit of car in Limericklast_img read more