Struggling Cranes star Farouq Miya loaned out again

first_imgFarouk Miya has struggled ever since his $400,000 move to Standard Liege in 2016. File photo.FOOTBALL–Uganda Cranes international Farouq Miya has been loaned out for the second time since joining Belgium giants Standard Liege.This time round, the former Vipers attacker has moved to Azerbaijan side Sebail FK.Sebail FK plays in the top tier of the Azerbaijan league despite the fact that it was founded only two years ago.Miya who went out on loan to Belgium Jupilar side Royal Mouscron in January 2017 had returned to his parent club Liege but could not force his way into the first team.Miya has been playing with the reserves ever since his return in the summer and maybe the 22 year old could use more playing time somewhere else in a bid to rejuvenate his career which is clearly in trouble.Miya was viewed as a brilliant prospect when he transfered from Vipers to Standard Liege in June 2016 for a fee of $400,000 after impressing in the top league but has failed to live up to the hype ever since.He has only featured in one league game since his move was made permanent in June 2016.Initially when the 22-year-old was loaned to Liege from January 2016 to May, he played a total of four league games and scored one goal.At Mouscron, Miya also found life difficult as he also failed to break into the starting team and hence featured in only four league games over a period of six months.The troubles he has had internationally have also troubled his Uganda Cranes form as he has been left out of the team on a couple of occasions, most notably in the later parts of the just concluded Russia 2018 World Cup qualifiers.Miya is the man that scored the goal that took Uganda to the African Cup of Nations after 39 years as the Cranes defeated Comoros 1-0 at Mandela National stadium in 2016.His last competitive goal for the Cranes can in the 1-1 draw against Burkina Faso at the AFCON finals tournament in Gabon where Uganda finished bottom of group D which also consisted of heavyweights Ghana and Egypt.Commentslast_img read more

Update Life after Harvey—scientists take stock of the damage and their luck

first_imgHurricane Harvey approaches the Texas coast in this color-enhanced satellite image. Country * Afghanistan Aland Islands Albania Algeria Andorra Angola Anguilla Antarctica Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia, Plurinational State of Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory Brunei Darussalam Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos (Keeling) Islands Colombia Comoros Congo Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Cook Islands Costa Rica Cote d’Ivoire Croatia Cuba Curaçao Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands (Malvinas) Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Heard Island and McDonald Islands Holy See (Vatican City State) Honduras Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran, Islamic Republic of Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Korea, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Republic of Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Lao People’s Democratic Republic Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libyan Arab Jamahiriya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macao Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Moldova, Republic of Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island Norway Oman Pakistan Palestine Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Qatar Reunion Romania Russian Federation Rwanda Saint Barthélemy Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Martin (French part) Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Sint Maarten (Dutch part) Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands South Sudan Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Svalbard and Jan Mayen Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syrian Arab Republic Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania, United Republic of Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of Vietnam Virgin Islands, British Wallis and Futuna Western Sahara Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe Update: Life after Harvey—scientists take stock of the damage, and their luck Sign up for our daily newsletter Get more great content like this delivered right to you! Country Related Harvey stories After record-breaking rains and catastrophic flooding, many scientists remain in suspense about how Hurricane Harvey will affect their research. Some are still unable to return to their labs and field sites to assess any damage. But others are beginning to get a look at the storm’s aftermath. Here is a sampling of what ScienceInsider is hearing from researchers. And we’re eager to hear your story. Let us know how Harvey is affecting your research, for better or worse, by sending an email to [email protected] By Science News StaffSep. 1, 2017 , 3:45 PM Riding out the storm downtown with the animalsAs the hurricane roared into Houston, Mary Robinson hunkered down at the University of Texas Health Science Center downtown. Robinson, a veterinarian and director of the animal facilities there, headed up the storm “ride-out” crew caring for the laboratory animals until regular staff could return to work. The addition of submarine doors and flood gates after Tropical Storm Allison (see below), as well as moving the animal facilities out of the basement, helped make Robinson’s 5-day stint relatively quiet. “Not a single animal was hurt or killed or even seemed to be bothered by the storm,” she says. —Carrie Arnold The turtles were moved in the back of a truck. On the eve of Harvey making landfall in Texas, Andrew Orgill sorely tested his mother’s love for him. Orgill, an animal attendant at a local wildlife rescue facility, showed up at her house with nine pelicans, a roseate spoonbill, and more than 30 other injured birds that he brought home for safekeeping and released onto her back porch. Orgill, who started working at the Amos Rehabilitation Keep at the Mission-Aransas National Estuarine Research Reserve (NERR) on the Gulf Coast when he was 10, knew that as long as he fed them their daily rations of frozen fish, cut to each bird’s size needs, they would tolerate the close quarters. Together, the Orgills and the birds weathered the hurricane intact. The keep also had 60 sea turtles of various sizes under its care, which were evacuated to an emergency wildlife facility built to handle animals caught in an oil spill. Deemed safer in that metal frame building, with its heavy duty steel beams and large garage doors secured with chains, than in the keep’s wood structures, the turtles still could have been flooded by the storm surge. But the thinking was they could swim around until the water receded and thus survive. Preliminary surveys suggest a laboratory primarily used for fisheries research and aquaculture experienced some flooding but avoided major damage, Palmer says. Emergency electrical generators kicked on during the height of the storm, and researchers hope that kept pumps and bubblers going in tanks full of larval fish and other aquatic creatures.A second building full of laboratory space wasn’t so lucky. The hurricane appears to have torn its roof and damaged facilities inside, Palmer says. Response teams are now assessing the damage, making sure laboratory chemicals are safely contained, and setting up security at the site.Reports suggest a third institute facility in nearby Rockport, Texas, might have sustained worse damage, Palmer says. The building, used primarily for public outreach and education, sits just 20 meters from the shore near the center of the city, which was hard hit by the storm.The institute’s fleet of small boats, which were moved to a warehouse before the storm, are apparently safe. And a former shrimp trawler used for education programs rode out the tempest in a sheltered harbor. Still, Palmer says it could be weeks before the institute can resume regular operations.In the meantime, Palmer says that—like many other institute employees—she is dealing with some storm damage on the homefront. Winds knocked down the backyard fence at her residence in suburb of Corpus Christi, and it will need to be replaced.In a 27 August statement, Gregory Fenves, the president of of UT, which is based in Austin, noted that “John Sharp, the chancellor of the Texas A&M University System, has offered [marine institute staff] the temporary use of facilities at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, for which I am deeply grateful.”—David MalakoffAt medical center in Houston, optimism about flood defensesSo far, researchers appear optimistic that flood defenses will hold at the Texas Medical Center, the behemoth complex of hospitals and medical research labs in Houston that includes Baylor College of Medicine, the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, and the Texas A&M Health Sciences Center.Raghu Kalluri, a cancer biologist at MD Anderson, managed to return to his lab this morning to find everything in working order: Freezers full of important samples had been protected by backup generators, and facilities housing research animals had stayed dry. Kalluri, who 5 years ago saw colleagues’ research devastated by damage from Hurricane Sandy while at Harvard Medical School in Boston, was pleasantly surprised by the center’s response. “I’m quite impressed of how they’ve prepared themselves,” he says.Several researchers say the center is benefiting from hard lessons learned from Tropical Storm Allison, which in 2001 breached aging dykes at Texas Medical Center and flooded hospital basements, killing thousands of research rodents and thawing frozen tissue samples. The complex now has a system of flood doors that sealed off basements and first floor facilities as water levels rose over the weekend. A spokesperson for Baylor described a system of gates and concrete walls rising 15 meters above sea level.“Disruption of research should be modest unless the situation worsens,” predicts cancer researcher Kent Osborne of Baylor. But he and others have been unable to visit their labs, as water continues to block roads to the medical center.“Maybe the flood control efforts after Allison are working,” says infectious disease researcher Herbert Dupont of the University of Texas Health Science Center, “but we need the storm to move along!” —Kelly Servick NOAA/NASA center_img Email Jace Tunnell Home with mom and several dozen rescued birds Indeed, all the turtles and birds fared well, and the 30 turtles deemed ready to be on their own were released immediately after the storm. The rest were packed into the back of a pickup truck and driven to another wildlife rehab facility, the Texas SeaLife Center in Corpus Christi. They will remain there for at least a month as the keep is repaired. As for the birds, “They now have a lot more room than on the back porch,” says Jace Tunnell, manager of NERR.—Elizabeth Pennisi Alicia Walker, the Amos Rehabilitation Keep Program coordinator, and Andrew Orgill, an animal attendant, release turtles into the Gulf of Mexico after Hurricane Harvey hit the coast. ‘Substantial’ damage at University of Texas marine instituteMarine researchers are facing “substantial” water damage to one of two major laboratory buildings at the University of Texas (UT) Marine Science Institute in Port Aransas, according to Communications Coordinator Sally Palmer. And five instrument stations in a nearby estuary that transmitted real-time weather and environmental data blinked offline this past Saturday night as Hurricane Harvey roared ashore.“We’re hoping that at least some of the instruments are still there somewhere, but haven’t been able to check yet,” Palmer tells ScienceInsider.The good news is that none of the institute’s 200 staff members were hurt as the storm made landfall just a few dozen kilometers to the east of the coastal station, which focuses on conducting ecological, fisheries, and biogeochemistry research. But many employees have yet to be able to return to their homes in nearby communities, and the station’s “operations are suspended until further notice,” Palmer says. Human influence may prolong ocean cycle that gave birth to Harvey Hurricane Harvey provides lab for U.S. forecast experiments Click to view the privacy policy. Required fields are indicated by an asterisk (*) In Colorado, a global flood observatory keeps a close watch on Harvey’s torrents Jace Tunnell last_img read more