Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 51-year-old attorney from Levittown has been accused of forging the signature of a federal bankruptcy court judge.Jeffrey I. Stark was charged Thursday at Central Islip federal court with forgery of the signature of a judge.“Stark violated his ethical obligation to his clients and committed a serious crime which strikes at the foundation of our judicial system,” Loretta Lynch, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. “Attorneys are expected to uphold the law, not to violate it.”Prosecutors said Stark allegedly forged the signature of a judge on a purported order in a case in which he had been retained to file for bankruptcy when in fact, Stark never commenced any action with the bankruptcy court on behalf of his client.If convicted, Stark faces up to 5 years in prison.
“Around 87.4 percent of the reports were coming from micro-scaled businesses that have felt the impacts of the COVID-19 crisis,” Fiki said during a virtual press conference. “We are also designing the criteria for businesses eligible for the program so that they don’t receive the same benefits twice.”The government is preparing a stimulus package for SMEs to help them survive amid the pandemic. The stimulus includes loan relaxations, a six-month tax waiver and cash transfers for micro-scaled businesses, Cooperatives and Small and Medium Enterprises Minister Teten Masduki said Wednesday.Read also: Indonesia announces Rp 405 trillion COVID-19 budget, anticipates 5% deficit in historic moveThe ministry suggests that SMEs convert their businesses to meet current demand, such as making masks and coveralls as the government’s large-scale social distancing (PSBB) policy has forced business owners to close down shops as demand weakens with people staying home. The government is working on reviewing businesses that are eligible to receive government aid as it receives reports from 37,000 small and medium enterprises (SMEs) severely hit by the COVID-19 pandemic.Around 56 percent of the reports are related to declining sales, 22 percent to funding, 15 percent to goods distribution and 4 percent to access raw materials, according to the Cooperatives and Small and Medium Enterprises Ministry.The ministry’s specialized staff on creative economy empowerment, Fiki Satari, said on Thursday it would review the reports to determine which ones are eligible to receive government support aimed at protecting SMEs amid the -19 pandemic. “This effort could help fulfill the domestic demand for [PPE] personal protective equipment and masks, as well as help them fulfill their daily needs during this pandemic,” Victoria Simanungkalit, the ministry’s undersecretary for production and marketing, said during the briefing.The ministry is also working together with industrial goods supplier PT Daruma Adira Pratama to help SMEs produce appropriate PPE that corresponds to the Health Ministry’s medical equipment standards.Currently, there are around 330 SMEs from 16 provinces that have joined the program and around 80 have been included in the Cooperative and Small and Enterprises Ministry’s catalog, Victoria said.The SMEs have also received a total of Rp 127.8 million (US$8,145) worth of orders from potential buyers consisting of 10,276 masks, 962 hazmat suits and 25 pairs of shoe covers, she added. Topics :
by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow â€” A new sign has been erected at the restaurant formerly known as A&W Restaurant. The new digs is called “Highway Diner 81” . This billboard was put in place today. Look for the newly black painted roof.Â Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (7) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. +4 Vote up Vote down Will miss it · 330 weeks ago What is sad is I drove threw Iola the other day by their A&W and they looked packed at noon. Just saying. Report Reply 0 replies · active 330 weeks ago +7 Vote up Vote down Small Town Boy · 330 weeks ago Is it “Highway Diner 81” or “Highway 81 Diner”? Just curious, but the latter sounds better. Either way, good luck to them! Report Reply 0 replies · active 330 weeks ago +8 Vote up Vote down Resident · 330 weeks ago My husband & I ate at the diner last week. Very good food & service was excellent! The new owner has kept a lot of the same old A&W food, just renamed. Everyone should try it out!! Report Reply 0 replies · active 330 weeks ago +3 Vote up Vote down Pokesalad · 329 weeks ago Post a example menu would be nice if possible, stick to the work place bullentin board. Report Reply 0 replies · active 329 weeks ago +3 Vote up Vote down Jim · 329 weeks ago We like highway 81 diner also Report Reply 0 replies · active 329 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Wayfinding Signage · 328 weeks ago Highway Diner 81 in former building. Wow, let’s hope they have some serious plans to keep things going there. Report Reply 0 replies · active 328 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down sharon · 313 weeks ago Drove over from Winfield today to eat at A & W…sad it is closed.. Report Reply 0 replies · active 313 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments
Geoff Marks, a past President of the English Golf Union and the first man to captain GB&I to Walker Cup victory on American soil, has died. He was 78. Geoff, who was a member of Trentham Golf Club in Staffordshire for 60 years, was appointed OBE for services to golf in the Queen’s Birthday Honours of 2008. His golfing career was peppered with highlights starting with early success as the Staffordshire boys’ champion of 1955. He played for England 65 times between 1963 and 1975, winning 45 times; and he played in two Walker Cups, before twice captaining the team. In his first Walker Cup match, at Milwaukee in 1969, he won both his singles, including one against Lanny Wadkins. In 1971 at St Andrews he was on the losing end of an encounter against Tom Kite. He was Walker Cup captain at Sunningdale in 1987 and followed up two years later by steering GB&I to an historic 12.5-11.5 victory at Peachtree Golf Club in Atlanta. He was also the England captain from 1980-83. After his playing career was over he became President of the English Golf Union in 1995 and also served on R&A committees – and shared responsibility for the pin positions at a number of Open championships. Geoff Marks was an architect by profession and partner for Scriveners and designed the offices and other buildings when the English Golf Union moved to Woodhall Spa in 1995. He was Staffordshire champion eight times and had been president of both his county and of his club, Trentham, where he had also been captain and a director. 13 Dec 2016 Geoff Marks: 1938-2016
By John Burton |FREEHOLD — There is always much to give thanks for this time of year, but for 17 Monmouth County families and their newest members, it’s going to be a very special holiday season.“These kids deserve a home, they deserve love,” said Seegal Moses, who, in recognition of National Adoption Day, welcomed 5-year-old Steven into her already large family last Friday.“They just want to be loved,” Moses observed of her children and all the others who continue to wish for a permanent home.Jeff and Kate Johnson, a Middletown couple, are the proud parents of 4-month-old Ellianna, as they finalize her adoption last week at the Monmouth County Courthouse, Freehold.“It really does feel like Christmas!” added a beaming Kate Johnson, holding her adopted infant daughter.Monmouth County Surrogate Rosemarie Peters and the seven judges assigned to Family Court in state Superior Court at the Monmouth County Courthouse on Nov. 17, were on hand to celebrate finalizing 17 adoptions, joining together loving families with those who need that love.The courts and the Surrogate’s Office aren’t always happy places, acknowledged Peters and Judge Kathleen A. Sheedy, noting they’re usually the places for people facing difficult and stressful circumstances.But on this day, “For our office, this is wonderful,” Peters said. “This is happiness.”Sheedy said for her and her colleagues, “I can tell you this is the happiest day of the year.”Sheedy added, “Today we get to create new families.”The Moses family is already a pretty big one by contemporary standards. Red Bank residents Richard and Seegal Moses have six biological children and with the finalized adoption of Steven last week, have three adopted children.Seegal was adopted as a young child and is more than willing to bring as many children into the fold as they can, Richard said. “She’s the instigator in this,” he said affectionately. “It still touches me in deep ways,” the commitment her adopted family made to make her a part of their lives, Seegal added.And with Steven they couldn’t say no, Seegal acknowledged. The boy was found when he was only about 1, living on the streets in Ecuador, being cared for as much as was possible by his two only slightly older sisters. “The parents were M.I.A.,” Richard explained. “We don’t know what happened.” And no one really knows exactly how old Steven is, Richard said, although they have settled on 5.The boy has been with the Moseses for the past five months and is loved by all his siblings, Seegal said. “It’s just awesome,” Seegal said. “It really is.”According to Moses, Steven’s sisters have also been adopted and are living with families in the U.S.For Kate and Jeff Johnson, 4-month-old Ellianna was part of their lives within about an hour of being born. “We were able to meet her at the hospital,” Jeff said.The Johnsons, who live in Middletown, had entered into a private adoption agreement with the birth mother. “So, she’s been part of us,” Kate said.But with the formal adoption now done, “We can kind of relax now,” Jeff said, acknowledging there was always the concern the birth mother may change her mind. “This is the day,” Jeff said, joking he now has to start saving for Ellianna’s college and wedding.“We’re just so excited,” Kate offered. And while it is a lengthy process, having taken the Johnsons about four years total, Jeff recommended to anyone thinking about adopting: “Don’t hesitate, just do it,” because it brings so much joy and happiness.Victoria Smith and her life partner, Karen Mitcham, are old hands at this, yet it still feels so joyful, they said. “It’s wonderful,” Smith said, as the couple’s adoption was completed for two children.Karen Mitcham, left, Victoria Smith and Mya, 7, are all smiles with the adoption of Samantha and Jaylen last Friday, part of the Monmouth County’s celebration of National Adoption Day.Jaylen, 2, and Samantha, 5, are joining the Mitcham and Smith family, alongside Mya, a 7-year-old who the couple adopted in June 2012. Smith and Mitcham have been foster parents for these children and for a total of 32 kids over the years. Most of the children returned to their original families or were placed in other homes. “I’m retired now and I love kids,” said Smith, which made the decision to adopt Jaylen and Samantha an easy one.Mitcham said it’s a lot of work dealing with three youngsters but, “We have a lot of help…we have our church family” to lend support.Smith believed she and Mitcham are the ones receiving all the benefits. “They keep us young,” she said of the children.“We learn so much every day,” from the children, Seegal Moses said, believing she and her husband are the lucky ones. “I look at their faces and see so much love.”National Adoption Day is sponsored annually by a coalition of national organizations, such as the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption and the Children’s Action Network, to raise awareness of the approximately 100,000 children nationally, and 300 in Monmouth County, currently in foster care hoping for permanent homes.Those adopted last Friday range in age from 4 months to 29 years old. There were 122 adoptions finalized in Monmouth County over the course of the year, according to Peters.This article was first published in the Nov. 23-30, 2017 print edition of The Two River Times.
“Since then, we’ve haddiscussions and it seems likethey’d like us to keep going,”Broege added. “The environmental commission is an integral part of this community, like every other community in this area. As long as the authorities remain the same, we owe it to our neighbors to keep going.” Borough councilman Robert Proto said the council plans to adopt a resolution at its April 3 workshop meeting to direct the borough’s planning board secretary to submit all site plan applications to the environmental committee for review. The resolution will also make a recommendation to Oceanport Mayor Jay Coffey that he appoint a member of the environmental committee to the township planning board, ensuring that it will be business as usual for the volunteer group of environmental specialists. Thomas Cox, the environmental commission vice chair said that not commenting on the amended campus site plan should not be held against the commission. OCEANPORT – Council officials hope to quell a storm of protest by residents upset over the decision to change the municipal environmental commission to a committee, which could curtail its authority. Council president Stephen Solan said the decision to transition from a commission to a committee was because the group had “not been acting as a commission for a very long time.” “It’s a fruitless effort because they have the votes to override it, but it was more of a statement if nothing else,” Coffey said. “The way people are being treated at these meetings is wrong. When you have 50 residents show up to oppose you, and so many of them speaking passionately and intelligently against an ordinance, read the room and table it for further discussion.” Solan added that as acommission, the volunteergroup is expected to act asan arm of the government,but had not been providingmeeting agendas, minutesor annual reports. “One of the arguments we heard was that we should want an extra set of eyes on things like site plan applications coming before the planning board. Then we solicit comments from all of our professionals concerning the site plan amendment and never hear anything from the environmental commission? Shouldn’t they want to be heard on something as important as this?” Solan asked. Broege said after thatMarch 21 meeting severalmembers of the volunteergroup said they were readyto step down from their postson the commission. Thosedecisions to potentially walkaway came after severalmembers of the commissionand other residents spokeout against the governingbody’s decision to adopt anordinance that appeared tobe stripping the group of itsoversight permissions. Broege said that, duringthe meeting, it seemed likethe council intended to “takeauthority away from thecommission, in terms of thesite plan review process.” Another resolution on the docket at Thursday’s workshop meeting is one that, if adopted, would override that veto. But what prompted the adoption of the ordinance was when the commission failed to provide comments on a controversial amendment to a site plan that proposed the construction of a satellite campus for New Jersey City University on a parcel of land located in the Oceanport section of Fort Monmouth. “The council heard two main concerns from the commission members. They wanted continued representation on the planning board and the ability to review plans going in front of the planning board. We’re putting these two into a resolution to assuage the concerns of our volunteers,” added Proto, who said he and other council members met with environmental commission chair Robert Broege following a heated public meeting March 21. Proto said the transition from a commission to a committee is a move that will relieve the group of regulatory burdens, such as providing minutes, agendas and annual reports, and merely formalize how the group has been regularly operating. Despite the public push-back, the borough council unanimously adopted the ordinance, leading Coffey to invoke a mayoral veto for the first time since winning the seat in the 2015 general election.
An Akron, Iowa woman accused of lying about killing her husband has entered a plea.Plymouth County District Court records say 35-year-old Becky Hebert entered a written Alford plea Wednesday to a misdemeanor charge of interference with official acts.In an Alford plea, a person doesn’t admit guilt but acknowledges there is enough evidence for a likely conviction.She’d originally been charged with second-degree murder for the Oct. 6, 2017, shooting death of 40-year-old Jeremy Hebert.The charge was dismissed just weeks later.Deputies reported that she said numerous times that she’d shot her husband – statements that they later concluded were lies.Her sentencing has not been scheduled.No other arrests for the slaying have been reported.