Mother of 2 wounded in deadly Cincinnati shooting: ‘I don’t have any sorrow’

first_imgABC News(CINCINNATI, Ohio) — A Kentucky mother of two is recovering after being wounded in a deadly bank shooting earlier this month, but she says the situation still feels unreal.“I feel detached from it,” Whitney Austin told Good Morning America on Wednesday. “If I think about the victims … that’s when I get emotional. I don’t have anything to be depressed about. I don’t have any sorrow. … I survived.”Austin, who lives in Louisville, Kentucky, spent five days at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center after a gunman opened fire inside the Fifth Third Bancorp headquarters on Sept. 6, wounding her and killing three others.She was in town for a meeting at Fifth Third’s headquarters, where she works as a senior product manager, and walked into the lobby as the shooting was in progress.The suspected gunman Omar Enrique Santa Perez was fatally shot by police.“When I take myself back to that moment of squatting in the revolving door … I can’t reconcile that I lived,” she said. “I have my kids. I get to go back to my life.“I only have thanks and gratitude,” she added.Perez, of Northbend, Ohio, allegedly opened fire in the building’s loading dock before continuing into the lobby area, where Austin was wounded, police said.One other person was injured and three others — Richard Newcomer, 64; Raj Kandepi, 25; and Luis Felipe Calderón, 48 — were killed. Police have not released a motive in the case.Austin said she didn’t know the alleged shooter, but she thinks about him him often. She said the shooting has inspired her to become an activist and an advocated for better gun control.“I feel sorry for him and sorry for his family,” she said. “I’m sorry that we didn’t provide you the support necessary to not be in this position. We all have a lot of responsibility to take care of the mentally ill.”Her husband, Waller Austin, told “GMA” that he also feels as if he’s recovering as well. He said he’s struggling to find a sense of closure someday, but the tragedy feels way too fresh.“It’s not healthy to sit here and think about what we could have done differently,” he said. “We have so much more to give and so much more life to live. Thinking about closure at this point is just, it’s not happening.”The Austins have received overwhelming love and support in the wake of the shooting, Whitney said, thanking her family, friends and all the strangers who have reached out.“It’s been wonderful to open letters and have people pour out their heart and soul,” Whitney Austin said. “We’ve had a lot of support through social media and also lots of support from our local friends and family.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Chicago’s Taste of Randolph Festival Announces 2017 Lineup

first_imgThe 21st Annual Taste of Randolph Festival, taking place Friday June 16th through Sunday June 18th 2017, will return to Chicago’s West Loop Neighborhood. Artists will perform on two stages and a DJ stage to entertain guests while they peruse the block with the biggest and brightest names in Chicago dining, featuring over 18 restaurants exemplary for delectable menus and irresistibly unique flavors.The lineup includes headlining slots from Dawes, Eden, Emancipator Ensemble, Here Come The Mummies, Moon Taxi, and Denver’s own Robert Delong – who will all rock and roll on the Denver Live on the Rocks Stage, returning for its second year. The two wings of a jaw-dropping replica of Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Denver’s world-famous outdoor venue, stands 76 feet long and up to 30 feet tall, and is hand-carved and hand-painted to resemble Red Rocks’ sandstone – making for an exciting experience similar to one of America’s best venues.There will also be performances from Slow Magic, !!! (Chk Chk Chk),  Son Little, Jerry Folk, ProbCause, Michl,  Too Many Zooz,  Head For The Hills, Soule Monde, The Blue Stones, Brayton Bowman, Organ Freeman, Satsang, Naughty Professor, Bassel & The Supernaturals, Donnie Biggins, Carlile, JJ & Dre, Nasty Snacks, and Growler. Check out the poster below:last_img read more

Brussels sets out plans to reopen EU borders

first_img“While we will all have to remain careful, the time has come to make concrete preparations for lifting restrictions with countries whose health situation is similar to the EU’s.”Johansson had warned last week that not all countries agreed on the criteria for reopening borders to travellers from the rest of the world.Tourism-dependent countries such as Greece have been pushing for a swift reopening, with Athens already announcing it will welcome travellers from a list of countries including Australia, China and South Korea from June 15. Brussels on Thursday set out plans to fully reopen the EU’s internal borders on June 15 and to allow travellers from Balkan countries to enter the bloc from July 1.The recommendation to the 27 EU member states comes as restrictions imposed to slow the spread of coronavirus are eased and national governments seek to restart tourism in time for the peak summer season.Europe accounts for just under half of the 415,000 lives claimed by COVID-19 and now the continent is trying to contain the economic fallout, fearing devastation for its crucial tourism industry. The European Commission, the bloc’s executive, which is trying to coordinate the moves, said it was too early to completely abandon restrictions on travellers coming from outside the EU.Instead it called for a “common coordinated approach”, lifting the ban on non-essential travel for countries where the pandemic is at a similar level to the EU and adequate disease control measures are in place.The commission said restrictions should be lifted from July 1 for Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia and Serbia because “their epidemiological situation is similar or better than that of the EU”.”International travel is key for tourism and business, and for family and friends reconnecting,” European home affairs commissioner Ylva Johansson said.center_img Topics :last_img read more