News China’s diplomats must stop attacking media over coronavirus reporting Help by sharing this information December 4, 2019 Find out more PeruAmericas Reporters Without Borders fears a renewal of violence against the press in the run-up to 9 April general elections, after 2005 was marked by more than 60 assaults and threats. The organisation again condemned the implication of local authorities in many cases of assault and called on election candidates to give clear promises on respect for the right to inform and be informed. Latin America’s community radio – a key service but vulnerable PeruAmericas Latin American media: under control of families, economic and political elites Follow the news on Peru March 7, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Fears for 9 April elections as journalists face new wave of abuse to go further Organisation Receive email alerts April 1, 2020 Find out more Reporters Without Borders said that it feared that mistreatment of journalists by local political leaders in the first months of 2006, presaged abuses as bad as those which marked the previous year.Last year, the organisation recorded 62 cases of threats and physical assaults against the press. Nine journalists have suffered the same kind of attack since the start of 2006, often at the hands of the local authorities.“Peru holds the unenviable record for the most attacks against the media on the American continent”, it said. “The public authorities are delaying in coming to grips with this phenomenon and for the good reason that they are widely involved in it”.“The campaign for presidential and legislative elections on 9 April raises fears of a further outbreak of violence. In this situation, candidates must clearly promise their backing for the right to inform and freedom of expression”, it said.A group of police officers, under the orders of Capt Mendoza, on 24 February 2006, went to the studios of the radio Amistad in Aucayacu, central Peru and accosted the sole staffer present, soundman Edwin Revilla.They told him to provide them with precise information about the journalists and those in charge of programmes as well as the running of the radio and licences it has had issued.Vladimir Angulo, a journalist on radio Amistad, who condemned what happened, said the intimidation could be linked to the case of the death of terrorist leader, Héctor Aponte Sinarahua, alias “Clay”, gunned down by police on 19 February 2006. The radio, on 20 February, broadcast a statement from a witness to the effect that the terrorist chief was not dead after the clash, as the official version said. Police had reportedly riddled him with bullets, firing without warning. The police chief in Aucayacu, Capt. Roger Rossi Denegri, told the Institute for Press and Society (IPYS), that he had not authorised the police raid.Elsewhere, Felipe Tipián and cameraman Levis Cárdenas of the TV programme “Enfoques” on the Red Global channel were targeted by municipal official Carlo Magno Pasquel, who tried to run them down with his motorbike and left the cameraman with a leg injury as they were covering a demonstration in Tarapoto, northern Peru on 28 February. He then got off his bike and insulted the journalists, who had implicated him in cases of poor local management.Finally, supporters of presidential candidate Ollanta Humala Tasso insulted and attacked Karina Chávez, who runs the TV programme “Prensa libre” at an election rally on 8 February in the Comas district, north of Lima, punching her in the face and spitting at her. News February 10, 2017 Find out more News RSF_en News
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Solskjaer and Neville were team-mates at United (Picture: Getty)Paul Pogba highlighted the ‘joy’ that Solskjaer has brought to United following their struggles under Mourinho.Asked how Solskjaer has managed to turn things around, Pogba told BBC Sport: ‘It’s his joy. He’s not playing, he’s not acting. He’s just giving joy to everyone and giving confidence to everyone and you can see on the pitch.‘Playing with the lads, playing all together, defending and attacking all together helps every player to be at their best and that’s what we’re doing.‘It’s from the good atmosphere of the team.’ Comment Gary Neville hopes Manchester United wait until March to make their decision (Picture: Getty)Gary Neville believes Manchester United should hold off until March before deciding whether Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should be appointed on a permanent basis.The Norwegian remains unbeaten as United interim manager following a comfortable 3-0 win away at Fulham on Saturday and reports suggest the club have already concluded that the Solskjaer is the man to take them forward.The 45-year-old, who spent 11 years as a player at Old Trafford, has transformed the atmosphere in the dressing room after a dismal start to the season under Jose Mourinho and United’s board have seen enough.However, Neville has urged his former club to wait a few weeks to make their decision, with matches against Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester City on the horizon.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘My personal view is still, wait until March,’ the ex-United right back said on his Sky Sports podcast.‘I don’t think there’s any real reason to rush it and make that announcement today and that’s not because Manchester United have got seven or eight tough games in this next month. Metro Sport ReporterMonday 11 Feb 2019 8:30 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link546Shares Solskjaer is yet to lose as United interim manager (Picture: Getty)‘I just think it’s sensible to reflect over a three or four month period but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is putting himself in with a major shout of getting the job.‘I’m looking at it from an owner’s point of view and thinking that if Manchester United continue in the vein they are towards the end of the season, playing the way they are, get into the top four…‘The risk of not giving Ole Gunnar Solskjaer the job is huge.‘If, next October, they’ve spent £30-40million to get a manager and a new manager and a new coaching set-up into the club, and they’re in fifth, all hell will break loose.’ Manchester United should wait before appointing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as permanent manager Pogba scored a brace against Fulham (Picture: Getty)Pogba, who scored two goals at Craven Cottage, hopes United use the victory for momentum ahead of a challenging few weeks for the club.‘It’s always great to score goals but the most important thing is to win games. When you don’t win, it’s not the same feeling,’ the midfielder told Sky Sports.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves‘I feel great, the team feels good, and we just have to carry on like this.‘This game was really important. It’s a good sign, it gives confidence to the team. We have to carry on like that to stay in the top four.’MORE: Anthony Martial can be the new Cristiano Ronaldo, says Man Utd manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Advertisement Advertisement
The UK’s Lancashire County Pension Fund has bought an industrial estate in the north of England through Knight Frank Investment Management (KFIM) for £7.8m (€9.7m) from Anglesea Capital and Hudson Advisors.The purchase price of the 142,220ft2 multi-let Walton Summit Industrial Estate in Preston, Lancashire, reflected a 7.3% yield, said KFIM.The estate is occupied by chemicals manufacturer Evans Vanodine, courier company Yodel and brewing equipment firm Three Nations.Lewis Ellis acted for KFIM in the deal, and CBRE represented the seller. Meanwhile, HSBC Life (UK) – a subsidiary of the HSBC Holdings group – is selling its UK pensions manufacturing business to Admin Re Group, part of the Swiss Re Group.A spokesman for HSBC said the sale was part of the bancassurance strategy HSBC Holdings had been following for the last few years, aimed at simplifying the business and deploying capital more effectively.The UK subsidiary will continue to offer pension products, but no longer package them itself, he said.Under the terms of the transaction, HSBC will sell its corporate and individual pensions policies, and an associated annuities book.Around £4.2bn of underlying assets under management formed part of the deal, and about £4bn of this was managed by HSBC Global Asset Management (UK), the group said.HSBC Global Asset Management will continue to be the investment manager of these underlying assets.The deal also included a reinsurance agreement with ReAssure whereby HSBC has transferred certain economic risks and rewards of the business to ReAssure from 1 January 2014 until the deal completes.The transaction is subject to regulatory and law court approvals and is expected to complete in the second half of 2015.