Low Methane Beef Campaign a Positive for Beef

first_imgAudio Playerhttps://www.hoosieragtoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Burger-King-WRAP.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.Last week, fast food giant Burger King announced it would be adding low methane beef to its menu. Is this a positive or negative issue for the beef industry? That depends on who you ask.The Burger King announcement was based on research that suggests feeding lemon grass to cattle produces less methane and, thus, is good for the environment. It was met with derision by many in the beef industry as another attack on livestock production.Indiana-based author, speaker, and ag economist Damian Mason says, actually, the move is a positive for beef.“Many consumers are being indoctrinated, especially the Gen Z  and millennial crowd into feeling guilty that what they eat is harming the environment.  Burger King has given these guilt-ridden consumers a reason to buy a cheeseburger.”Mason told HAT the science behind this is shaky at best but stresses this is not an a science-based issue.“Consumers do not pay attention to science. I have been pointing this out for a long time, consumers don’t do science — they do feelings.”Mason is the author of a book Food Fear that explores how emotions dictate consumer food choices.In an on-line video interview with HAT, Mason asserted that if consumers feel good about the beef they eat, they will eat more of it.“The good news here is that Burger King may actually sell more burgers, and hence more beef, because of this new approach,” he stated.Social media reaction by many in agriculture was negative with some cattlemen threatening to boycott Burger King. Mason said the fast food chain is not attacking agriculture but simply trying to sell more burgers.“More and consumers are making purchases based on the social and environmental responsibility of a company and this is a way for Burger King to tap into that.”Mason points out that most customers at Burger King just want a hamburger and are not going to be too worried about the level of methane in the flatulence of the cattle used to make their burger. But telling a positive story about beef production is overall a good thing.“The story here is Burger King uses cattle that are on a low methane diet and that is good. It is a little bit of rainbows and unicorns and silly science, but consumers buy on feelings and this makes them feel good.”Burger King said they intend to target the promotion in cities with strong consumer concerns about the environment. Previous articlePurdue Team Gets $1 Million to Develop Rapid Sensor Tech for Cattle DiseaseNext articleCommentary: When to Rely on Science and When to Ignore It Gary Truitt Facebook Twitter SHARE Facebook Twitter Low Methane Beef Campaign a Positive for Beef By Gary Truitt – Jul 19, 2020 Home Indiana Agriculture News Low Methane Beef Campaign a Positive for Beef SHARElast_img read more

Newspaper editor Dolgor Chuluunbaatar freed on bail

first_img July 28, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Newspaper editor Dolgor Chuluunbaatar freed on bail News Campaigns to go further RSF_en Mongolia : RSF urges presidential candidates to voice support for press freedom MongoliaAsia – Pacific News October 28, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts MongoliaAsia – Pacific June 7, 2021 Find out morecenter_img Help by sharing this information The worldwide press freedom organisation said it was “very worried” about the editor’s treatment in prison, since the case was of interest to the government. It said it was quite unlikely that the privatisation of the paper and a state printing works had been done entirely by one person. It urged the government to clarify the matter and allow civil society representatives to visit the prison to check on Chuluunbaatar’s health and whether he had been beaten. He was accused by the court on 7 April of violating in 2008 article 150.3 of the criminal law about private and government property and faces a 15-year prison sentence if convicted. The paper’s offices are in a former printing works that belonged to the Ulaabataar city government. He denies the charges. His lawyers have applied nine times to various legal authorities for his release on bail but none have replied. Chuluunbaatar, a respected TV journalist and former editor of Mongoliin Medee (Mongolian News) and the Daily Independent, is currently vice-president of the Asia Journalist Association and secretary-general of the Confederation of Mongolian Journalists. Reporters Without Borders is also concerned about the arrest on 27 April of two journalists, Gantumut Uyanga and her husband Baviya Baatarkhuyag, after they criticised nature, environment and tourism minister Luimed Gansukh in the daily Udriin Sonin for moving with his family into a million-dollar house soon after the government signed an agreement with a Canadian firm, Ivanohe Mines, to mine copper and gold at Oyu Tolgoi.Uyanga told the news website News.mn that she and her husband were seized by four police and shoved into a van as they were leaving their house with a friend. “I was forced to kneel down and they smashed my mobile phone,” she said.Both journalists were freed a few hours later. The Ulaanbaatar court upheld on 5 May the dismissal by the Sukhbaatar court on 24 March of a libel suit brought by the minister against Uyanga, who also heads a civil society organisation. She said she would sue police for illegally arresting her.Reporters Without Borders calls on the government to “immediately decriminalise defamation” and said prosecution of journalists for what they wrote violated freedom of expression and the media, which were guaranteed by article 16 of the national constitution, article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and by the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, all of which Mongolia had signed.Mongolia ranks 76th out of 178 countries in the current (2010) Reporters Without Borders world press freedom index. Reporters Without Borders is relieved to learn that Dolgor Chuluunbaatar, the editor of the daily Ulaanbaatar Times, was released conditionally on health grounds on 22 July. He is now in hospital receiving treatment for a serious eye infection.He had been held since 24 March on a charge of illegally privatizing the newspaper. No date has so far been set for the trial, at which he will face the possibility of a 15-year jail sentence. June 2, 2020 Find out more News Mongolia: RSF calls for media reform to tackle corruption ———————–26.05.2011 – Editor of daily paper held for two monthsReporters Without Borders today voiced “great concern” about the imprisonment for the past two months of Dolgor Chuluunbaatar, editor of the daily Ulaanbaatar Times, and said it feared he had been “tortured and forced to sign confessions.” It called on the government to prove otherwise.He was arrested in the capital, Ulaanbataar, on 24 March and accused by the Sukhbaatar district court of illegally privatising the paper. Reporters Without Borders is also concerned about the arrest on 27 April of another journalist, who was accused of libelling a minister. Organisation Follow the news on Mongolia UN human rights review on Mongolia: RSF urges members to join its call for press freedom reformslast_img read more

Artists and councillors to augment City of Culture

first_img Previous article#VIDEO Ralph Lauren’s niece to be sentenced over air rage incidentNext articleDeath of Super Blues legend O’Mahony Rose Rushehttp://www.limerickpost.ieCommercial Features and Arts Editor at Limerick Post WhatsApp Email Advertisement Linkedin by Rose RusheDr Mike Fitzpatrick, visual artist and administrator, appointed as interim headAS well as new leadership for the programme and strategy on a temporary basis by LIT Limerick School of Art and Design head Michael Fitzpatrick, City of Culture board is to broaden board membership to include arts’ and local representatives.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The decisions were made at an emergency board meeting held on the night of Monday 5 with a view to accelerating progress on personnel appointments, strategic vision and programming.Chairperson Pat Cox told a press conference on Tuesday 7 that the board had nominated place for three new board directors representing the arts and culture community agitating for inclusion and experienced unfettered direction.“One from the arts and culture sector nominated on the advice of the pillar groups. There will be another director nominated from the chairpersons of the pillar groups of which there are six. There will be a third and final appointment for Mike Fitzpatrick on completion of his term as interim head.New roles were also announced for the Mayor and Cathaoireleach with respect to City of Culture inclusion on foot of a meeting on Tuesday morning with city and county councillors.“Mr Tim O’Connor, outgoing chair of The Gathering, is appointed as vice-chair”.On the troubled issue of stalled funding, Pat Cox said “that the board is pleased to announce that later afternoon yesterday [Monday 6] Minister for Arts Jimmy Deenihan and Conn Murray had signed off on heads of agreement..a key step in accessing the generous funding provided”.The beleaguered City of Culture chair also extended his appreciation for the “overwhelming offers of support in this time of crisis in recent days and along with other offers of encouragement, we look forward to taking them up”.He made specific reference to looking to the business community’s response and “offers of sponsorship”.LIT’s Dr Maria Hinfelaar who led the collaboration for Dr Fitzpatrick’s secondmentHe expressed praise and gratitude to LIT president Maria Hinfelaar and LSAD’s Mike Fitzpatrick for “stepping up to the mark” and their sense of “civic leadership”.Pat Cox also thanked outgoing chief executive Patricia Ryan for her “selfless dedication to the project” and “the dignified way” that she responded, continuing to work with the project to ensure “a smooth handover”.It emerged that Dr Hinfelaar and Dr Fitzpatrick had collaborated with the board with the initiative of the LSAD head’s secondment to City of Culture with respect to introducing new structures and process to see through the 2014 vision for Limerick’s designation.Full story in Limerick Post of Thursday January 8.center_img NewsBreaking newsArtists and councillors to augment City of CultureBy Rose Rushe – January 7, 2014 925 Facebook Print Twitterlast_img read more